Hey there, It's me, Monica. As you might be able to see, I have a fair complexion. So I like to visit southern European countries in the cooler seasons or get up early and do everything before midday. Maybe you know what I mean.
I woke up early one morning in Florence, Italy, feeling ravenous. I had a hankering for something hearty with coffee, of course. I love Italian coffee. Stateside, I enjoy Mokk-a's Café Italia when I want to taste the sunshine again.
Picture yourself in the heart of Florence, Italy, where the air is thick with the scent of freshly brewed espresso. Imagine wandering down the cobblestone streets and stumbling upon a quaint café, its entrance adorned with vibrant red geraniums. As you step inside, the aroma of rich coffee and sweet pastries fills the air. This is where you discover the enchanting world of espresso-infused pancakes.
The café owner, a warm and welcoming Italian nonna, shares her secret for creating the perfect pancake batter. A shot of freshly brewed espresso is the key, adding a depth of flavor that transforms the ordinary into the extraordinary. You savor each bite of these golden pancakes, drizzled with a delicate espresso-infused syrup. The fusion of Italian tradition and the boldness of coffee creates a breakfast experience that lingers in your memory long after you leave Florence.I was able to replicate the recipe once I returned to the States. It brought back all those sweet memories. I included the recipe below.
Enjoy Florence (again)
Rise and Shine Espresso-Infused Pancakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 shot of espresso (cooled)
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, melted butter, and cooled espresso.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently stir until just combined. It's okay if there are some lumps.
- Heat a griddle or non-stick pan over medium heat. Grease lightly with butter or cooking spray.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle for each pancake.
- Cook until bubbles form on the surface, then flip and cook until golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and a drizzle of espresso-infused syrup.